As the months start to get warmer and the sun is out more frequently people often decide to do more traveling. Those who are planning a trip for the Memorial Day weekend need to watchful and vigilant of bed bugs. Bedbugs.net as provided 5 simple steps to ensure you don’t bring these unwanted pests back into your home. There are countless horror stories of a short vacation to a bed bug infested hotel or home ending in costs of upwards of thousands of dollars if the bed bugs are brought back into the home. Certain steps can be taken to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable weekend without running into bed bugs. Below is a list of 5 steps that every traveler should take when traveling this Memorial Day weekend 2012.
1. Inspect your Hotel room – The first thing you should always do when you check into a new hotel is take off the sheets and look underneath the mattress. If you see stains and brown spots there is a good chance that there is currently or have been bed bugs in the past. Doing a 30 second thorough inspection of the bed can ensure that you sleep at night knowing you don’t have bed bugs in the room. Besides inspecting the bed you should check the corners of the carpet. If you have a very bad bed bug infestation there will be traces where the carpet meets the wall. These bugs like to travel in dark crevices so be mindful of wooden furniture and upholstery also.
2. Protect your Luggage – Even if you thoroughly inspect a room for bed bugs, you cannot always be 100% sure that they don’t exist. This is why protecting your luggage is a must. If you have a bed bug luggage liner make sure you use it. For those who don’t have a specific liner for bed bugs, bring large plastic garbage bags and keep your suitcases in the plastic bags when going to sleep. Because bed bugs only come out at night, you only need to keep it tied up when you are sleeping.
3. Change Rooms – If you think you have a room that might be infested with bed bugs don’t hesitate to talk to the management and change the rooms. Never move to a room that is adjacent, above, or below the room that is infested with bed bugs. Moving to a room out of the vicinity of the infestation is the safest way to ensure you don’t run into any bed bugs.
4. Wash Everything – When you get back from your Memorial Day weekend you need to make sure that you wash everything thoroughly in hot water. This will kill any potential bed bugs that might be on your clothes. Even if the clothes haven’t been used you will still need to wash them. If you had bed bugs enter your luggage then any clothing could contain them.
5. Check your Luggage – Before bringing any luggage back into your home you should do a thorough inspection. Always vacuum out the luggage before you place it into storage. If you find bed bugs you should keep your luggage in an insulated location and place them in plastic garbage bags. If you have a deep freezer you can put your luggage in the freezer. This method will kill any potential bed bugs that you have picked up on the trip.
No matter what you do this Memorial Day weekend you should make sure you take the right steps to avoid getting bed bugs along the way. By following these simple tips you are unlikely to run into these pesky bugs along the way. If you bring these pesky critters back into your home you should contact your nearest pest control company and have them deal with your situation.