In a recent press release by Terminix has listed the top 15 cities that were infested with bed bugs. They used a compilation of service calls from customers and confirmed cases to determine which cities had the most number of infestations. The following is the list of cities that made the top 15 in the U.S.:
- Philadelphia (last year rated #5)
- New York City (rated #1 in 2011)
- Washington, D.C.
- Columbus, Ohio
- San Francisco
- New Haven, Conn
According to the press release by Terminix the state of Ohio seems to be the worst state in the list with 3 of its cities making the top 15.
While this list is designed to provide people with information regarding bed bugs in their city it is by no means conclusive. Just because a city wasn’t mentioned on the list doesn’t mean you won’t find bed bugs in the city. The data is limited to the in house data that Terminix has received. Although they are the largest pest control company in the U.S. they do not have unlimited data to work with.
If you are living or traveling to any of the above states it is important that you take the steps to ensure you don’t get any bed bugs. People traveling to these cities should look up the bedbugs.net bedbug registry to see if any hotels have had any recent reports of bed bugs.
Here are a few tips for those looking to reduce the chance of bed bugs:
- Always check your hotel headboards, bed mattresses and box springs for specific signs of bed bugs. (You can view the bedbug.net guide to inspecting hotel rooms here)
- Keep all of your clothing and bags away from the bed. This means keeping clothes hung up and neatly packed away.
- Never put clothing in hotel drawers or dressers. This could be a place where the bed bugs have infested and you don’t want them jumping onto your clothing.
- Store you suitcases away from the bed on a luggage rack or sealed in a plastic bag.
- Ensure clothing is immediately washed with hot water when returning from a trip
- Vacuum your luggage out before you put it in storage. When you store the luggage make sure it is in sealed bags to ensure no bugs can enter your home.
- Change rooms if you suspect there might be bed bugs.
Although bed bugs prevalent the 15 cities that are listed, they should never stop you from visiting these places. If you take the time to properly inspect the hotel rooms you are using, there is a good chance you will never encounter these bugs on your vacation. People who believe they might have bed bugs in their home should immediately call a pest control company to inspect it. Remember that professionals are best suited to properly eliminate bed bugs.